Hot Cross Buns
Nothing beats traditional hot cross buns. Preferably eat warm from the oven.
310 ml (1¼ cups) milk
60 g butter or margarine
560 g (4 cups) cake flour
3 ml (½ tsp) salt
10 ml (1 Tbsp) ground cinnamon
5 ml (1 tsp) ground mixed spice
80 ml (⅓ cup) castor sugar
10 g (1 sachet) instant dry yeast
75 g (½ cup) Safari dried cake mix
1 extra-large egg, beaten
Paste for crosses
60 ml (¼ cup) cake flour
5 ml (1 tsp) castor sugar
about 40 ml water
30 ml (2 Tbsp) water
30 ml (2 Tbsp) castor sugar
1. Heat milk and butter together in microwave and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Sift flour, salt and spices together. Add castor sugar, yeast and fruit mix.
3. Add warm milk mixture and beaten egg to dry ingredients. Mix and knead lightly to a soft dough. Add a little more milk, if required.
4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 – 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough into ten equal pieces and roll into smooth balls. Place onto a greased baking tray and cover. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until buns have risen.
6. Paste for crosses: Mix flour and castor sugar together and add enough water to form a smooth paste. Place the paste into a piping bag, fitted with a small, round nozzle, and pipe crosses on the buns.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15 – 20 minutes.
8. Glaze: Heat milk and sugar together in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Brush buns with hot glaze. Enjoy warm with butter. Eat on same day of baking.