Oven Baked Beef Sirloin with prunes and marmite-onion sauce
6 Medium onions thinly sliced
8 Garlic cloves, crushed
4 Bay leaves
1 sprig of rosemary
250g Safari pitted prunes
750ml dry red wine
2kg beef sirloin with fat on top
Approx. 10ml marmite
Salt and pepper to taste
30ml whole grain mustard
1L double thick Greek yoghurt
- Cut the onion rings into thin slices. Arrange the onions, crushed garlic, rosemary and bay leaves in a roasting pan and add the prunes. Pour over the red wine.
- Spread the marmite over the sirloin and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the sirloin on top of the onions and herbs and cover with tin foil.
- Oven bake the meat at 100 degrees for 7-8 hours. Take the meat out of the roasting pan and cover it with a new piece of tin foil and let it rest.
- In the meantime heat up the pan juices and add the mustard. Mix in the yoghurt and let it simmer, but do not let it boil or the yoghurt will split.
- Cut the sirloin and serve with the prune and onion sauce
- Serves 6-8 people