Suretha's Date squares
Suretha du Toit baked these delicious date squares in the “load shedding” episode on Koekedoor Season 2. These no-bake biscuits are ideal for holidays and treats.
250 g butter or margarine
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
2 eggs, beaten
5 ml (1 tsp.) vanilla essence
250 ml (1 cup) chopped Safari dates
1 and ¼ packs Marie biscuits, roughly chopped
1. Melt the butter in a pot and add sugar and eggs. Stir over a low heat until the mixture thickens.
2. Add the vanilla and chopped Safari dates. Stir through and take off heat.
3. Decant on a greased baking sheet, press until flat and cool in the fridge.
4. Slice into squares and roll in desiccated coconut.
• This recipe is copyrighted by kykNET and Human & Rossouw Publishers and will appear in the Koekedoor 2 recipe book. It is exclusively available for Safari use.