Wessels' Cranberry and orange scone cake
The cranberries can be replaced by Safari currants. The orange syrup glaze intensifies the citrus taste.
488 g self-raising cake flour
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
2 oranges, juiced and zested
100 ml Safari cranberries or currants
250 ml (1 cup) milk
50 ml melted butter
100 g castor sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200º C and grease a 23 cm springform pan.
2. Sift the flour and salt, then add the orange peel and cranberries or currants.
3. Beat the eggs, milk and melted butter, then add to the flour mix. Mix lightly until a dough just forms.
4. Put the dough in the greased pna, then bake for about 25 minutes until just done.
5. Heat the orange juice and castor sugar and boil a syrup forms. Pour over the hot scones.