Wessels’ cheese, biltong and beer bread
In Koekedoor 2, contestants had to use local craft beers in their baking.
Wessels van Vuuren used the iconic Black Label beer in this easy and quick to make bread.
500 g self-raising flour
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cayenne pepper
250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
340 ml Beer
50 g biltong, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180º C and grease an 18 X 8 cm bread pan.
2. Sift the flour, salt and cayenne pepper together.
3. Rub the cheese into the flour mix, then stir in the biltong.
4. Add beer and cut the mixture with a knife until a dough forms. Do not overmix, to ensure a light bread.
5. Bake for 50 minutes until the bread is done. To check, knock the bottom of the bread – if it sounds “hollow”, your loaf is done.