Glace Apricot and Almond Tartlets
These tarts are quick to make by using store-bought shortcrust or puff pastry.
400 g store-bought shortcrust or puff pastry
500 ml (2 cups) milk
45 ml (3 Tbsp) Moir’s custard powder
80 ml (65 g) sugar
125 ml (½ cup) Safari ground almonds
125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream, whipped
about 20 g Safari flaked almonds, toasted for topping
125 ml (½ cup) fresh orange juice
30 ml (2 Tbsp) sugar
100 g Safari sundried apricots, coarsely chopped
1. Crust: Roll out pastry onto a lightly floured surface, to a thickness of about 3 mm. Line greased, loose-bottom small tart pans with pastry. Prick the base with a fork and place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
2. Bake blind in a preheated oven at 190 °C for 10 minutes. Remove beans and greaseproof paper. Reduce oven temperature to 180 °C and bake another 5 minutes.
3. Filling: Add a little milk to custard powder and mix well. Add remaining milk, sugar and custard mixture to a small, heavy-based saucepan. Boil mixture for a few minutes, whisking constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat and leave to cool completely. Add ground almonds and lightly fold in whipped cream.
4. Topping: Simmer orange juice, sugar and apricots in a small, heavy-based saucepan for a few minutes, until soft and slightly sticky. Set aside.
5. Spoon custard filling into pastry shells and top with glacé apricots. Garnish with flaked almonds and serve.