This chocolate Italian Christmas cake is filled with fruit and nuts.
100 g Safari whole almonds, toasted lightly
100 g Safari fruit & nut mix
100 g Safari sundried cranberries
125 ml (½ cup) cake flour
60 ml (¼ cup) cocoa powder
80 ml (⅓ cup) honey
125 ml (½ cup) light brown sugar
30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine
icing sugar for dusting
1. Combine nuts, fruit mix and cranberries.
2. Sift flour and cocoa powder together. Add to fruit and nut mixture and mix well.
3. Combine honey, sugar and butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved and butter is melted.
4. Add melted ingredients to fruit and nut mixture and mix well. Press mixture into a lined and greased 20 cm round cake pan.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 °C for about 25 minutes. Leave in pan for a few hours to cool completely and set well. Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving and cut into wedges.
Wrap in paper for a great homemade Christmas gift.