Serves 1 Loaf
- 125 g SAFARI Pitted Dates, finely chopped
- 125 g SAFARI Currants
- 5 ml MOIR'S bicarbonate of soda
- 330 ml SASKO cake flour
- 330 ml WHITE STAR maize meal
- 5 ml MOIR'S baking powder
- 180 ml golden syrup
- 100 ml oil
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 extra-large egg
- 125 ml sugar
- 5 ml mixed spice
- 2 ml salt
- Measure dates, currants, syrup, oil and bicarbonate of soda into bowl. Pour boiling water over these ingredients and leave to cool.
- Beat egg and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Add to the cooled syrup mixture. Mix dry ingredients and stir in.
- Pour into a large 30 cm x 11 cm greased loaf tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 170° C for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in tin.
- Turn out and place in an airtight container. Leave bread to stand for a day or two to “ripen”.
Serve with sweet almond butter.
Sweet Almond Butter 1. Beat together 125 g softened butter with 60 ml castor sugar, 1 ml Moir’s almond essence and 60 ml ground Almonds until light and creamy.
Serve with slices of Boston loaf
You may also like these delicious recipes