Deboned Lamb with Pears
Prep Time: 20 min
- 10 SAFARI Dried Pears, diced
- 15 ml olive oil
- 6 strips of streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 slices of bread, crumbed
- 15 ml freshly chopped thyme or 5 ml dried
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1.5 - 2 kg deboned lamb shoulder or leg of lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 2 large onions
- Heat olive oil in pan. Fry the bacon until almost crispy and remove from pan. Add onion to pan and fry until soft. Add the pears and fry for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the fresh breadcrumbs, thyme and black pepper and let the mixture cool down. Stuff the lamb shoulder or ask a butcher to do.
Season the lamb shoulder. Peel and cut the onions in half and place on the bottom of an oven pan. Place the stuffed shoulder on top of the onions and drizzle the lamb and onions with olive oil.
Cover the lamb with foil and bake in a roasting pan in a pre-heated oven at 180 °C for about 1.5 hours. Remove foil and roast further for 20 minutes. Leave the meat to rest for another 15 minutes before serving (for the meat juices to settle and secure perfect slices when cutting).