Spicy Hot Cross Muffins
- 40 g (cup) SAFARI Dried Cranberries
- 75 g (cup) SAFARI Seedless Raisins or Sultanas
- 500 ml (2 cups) SASKO cake flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) MOIR'S Vanilla Eessence
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) castor sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 125 ml (cup) buttermilk
- 150 ml cooking oil
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- Add castor sugar, cranberries and raisins. Mix well.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and essence together. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly with a spoon, until just combined. Do not overmix; mixture should still be lumpy.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin pans, filling each to three-quarters full.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Icing 1. Mix icing sugar and water together until smooth. 2. Place into a small piping bag, fitted with a small, round nozzle, and pipe crosses on the muffins.
Enjoy warm with butter.
You may also like these delicious recipes