Fruit Cake Pops
You will need
- 1 set of cake pop pans
- 24 plastic lolly sticks (or thick paper straws)
- 1 empty 24-hole egg tray
- 65 g SAFARI Seedless Raisins
- 65 g SAFARI Currants
- 65 g SAFARI Sultanas
- 65 g SAFARI Pitted Dates, diced
- 65 g SAFARI Walnuts, chopped
- 65 g SAFARI Pecan Nuts, chopped
- 65 g SAFARI Dried Peaches, chopped
- 65 g SAFARI Large Pitted Prunes, chopped
- 65 g SAFARI Apple Rings, chopped
- 65 g MOIR'S Assorted Glacé fruit, chopped
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- juice and grated rind of 1 orange
- 50 ml brandy or black rooibos tea
- 65 g mixed glace cherries, chopped
- 120 g SASKO Cake Flour
- 5 ml table salt
- 5 g baking powder
- 5 g ground cinnamon
- 5 g ground nutmeg
- 5 g fresh ginger, grated
- 75 g butter
- 40 g brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 40 g syrup
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- extra brandy or rooibos tea
- 500 g white chocolate
- For the fruit mix, soak the raisins, currants, sultanas and the lemon and orange rind overnight in the brandy or rooibos tea in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Place the remainder of the fruit mix in a separate bowl and set aside.
- For the cake, in a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the ginger and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Beat the eggs into the mixture, one at a time, until well incorporated. Add the syrup and vanilla essence and mix thoroughly. Stir in the flour mixture, add the reserved lemon and orange juice and the soaked fruit mixture (with the liquid) and stir well.
- Spray a cake pop pan with non-stick spray and fill each cavity half-full with the cake mix. Close the pan with the top half of the pan and use wooden pegs to secure together. Bake in an oven, preheated to 170 ºC for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and immediately soak each cake pop with a little bit of extra brandy or rooibos tea and set aside to cool in the pan
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Remove the top of the cake pop pan, dip the tip of each lolly stick into the white chocolate, and then place a stick into each cake pop. Dip each cake pop in the melted chocolate, and place them upright into the empty egg tray to decorate as desired (place a cloth underneath the egg tray to prevent it from slipping).
- Allow to dry and serve.
You may also like these delicious recipes