Caramel Beef Stew
Serves 6 - 8
- 250 g SAFARI Large Pitted Prunes, soaked in black tea
- 250 ml sugar
- 352 ml water
- 1 kg portion of boned brisket
- salt, pepper, dry mustard and mixed spices for seasoning
- 3 onions, cut into quarters
- strips of lemon rind
- 8 small potatoes, peeled
Chefs Hint: Substitute prunes with pitted dates for a different flavour twist
- Melt sugar over a low heat without stirring until brown.
- Add water and stir till sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Rub salt, pepper, mustard and mixed spices into brisket.
- Pot-roast brisket, onion and lemon rind in a little water till the brisket is half done.
- Take from the pot and place in a roasting tin. Keep the sauce in the pot. Place potatoes around the meat in the tin.
- Pour caramel sauce and sauce from the pot over meat and oven roast at 175° C. Continue to baste the meat.
- Add prunes at the end and continue to roast till meat is soft and golden brown.
You may also like these delicious recipes