Lamb Tagine with Apricots & Almonds
Serves 6 - 8
- 85 g (1/2 cup) SAFARI Dried Apricots
- 85 g (1/2 cup) SAFARI Pitted Dates, sliced
- 25 g (1/4 cup) SAFARI Flaked Almonds
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 kg boneless lamb shoulder, fat trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 large brown onion, coarsely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 x 2cm cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander sprigs
- Cooked couscous, to serve
- Combine paprika, cumin, ginger, ground coriander and cayenne pepper in a glass or ceramic bowl. Season with pepper & salt. Add the lamb and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Transfer the lamb mixture to a 2.5L (10-cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Stir in the stock, tomato, onion, garlic, honey, cinnamon.
- Bake, covered, for 2.5 hours or until the lamb is almost tender.
- Stir in the apricots and dates. Season with salt.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens and lamb is tender.
- Toast the almonds in a large frying pan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Sprinkle over the lamb and serve with the couscous.
You may also like these delicious recipes