Fruity Spice Loaf
- 250 ml (150 g) SAFARI Raisin and Cranberries mix
- 500 ml (280 g) SASKO Self-Raising Flour
- 5 ml MOIR'S Vanilla Essence
- 125 g butter or margarine, softened
- 250 ml (210 g) castor sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 ml salt
- 2 ml ground cinnamon
- 125 ml milk
- Place fruit mix in a bowl, pour boiling water over and leave for about 1 minute to soften. Drain and set aside.
- Cream butter and castor sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy. Add essence.
- Sift flour, salt and cinnamon together. Add drained fruit and mix well in flour. Add to egg mixture, alternately with milk. Mix well and spoon into a lined and greased 22.5 cm loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 160 °C and bake further for about 45 minutes, or until done. Leave in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Leave to cool completely before cutting.
Variations Cherry loaf: Add 30 g Safari red or green glacé cherries, quartered, (rolled in flour) and mixed into the batter. Yoghurt loaf: Substitute the milk with 200 ml plain yoghurt. Honey loaf: Reduce the 250 ml (210 g) castor sugar to 125 ml (105 g) and add 60 ml honey.