Chocolate Cherry Log
Serves 48 - 60 slices
- 100 g SAFARI Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 50 g SAFARI Currants
- 50 g MOIR'S Citrus Peel
- 2.5 ml MOIR'S Brandy Essence
- 5 ml MOIR'S Vanilla Essence
- 100 g MOIR'S Green Glace Cherries
- 200 g white sugar
- 150 ml tap water
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 80 g cocoa
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted
- 65 g icing sugar, sifted
- Combine sugar and water in a medium-sized stainless steel saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat and bring to the boil.
- Place a sugar thermometer in the syrup and boil over a medium heat until a reading of 105° C has been obtained. Alternatively, dip a fork in the syrup, lift it out and blow on to the syrup dripping off the fork. The syrup should form a fine thread.
- Remove from heat and whisk cocoa in the hot syrup. Place over heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches boiling point. Remove from heat and add melted chocolate, walnuts, currants and peel.
- Return to heat and stir until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add Moir’s Brandy Essence and Moir’s Vanilla Essence. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- To decorate: Sift 3/4 icing sugar onto a cold working surface. Divide chocolate mixture into three equal parts and roll each part into a log –about 50 mm (4 inches) in diameter. Press Moir’s Green Glacé Cherries into centre along length of log, and roll again so that cherries are hidden in the centre. Roll logs in sifted icing sugar. Sift remaining icing sugar onto a cold working surface and roll logs to coat evenly on the outside. Cover each log with greaseproof paper, then with aluminium foil and refrigerate.
- To serve, roll log in extra icing sugar and slice into 10 mm (approx. half an inch) thick slices
You may also like these delicious recipes