Date & Coconut Squares
Serves 20 Squares
- 125 ml chopped SAFARI Nuts - I used almonds and pecans
- 500 ml SAFARI Pitted Dates - chopped
- 375 ml SASKO Cake Flour
- pinch of salt
- 250 ml desiccated coconut
- 5 ml baking powder
- 250 ml packed brown sugar
- 175 ml butter - cut in smaller cubes
- 250 ml water
- 80 ml packed brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place the coconut, nuts, flour, salt, baking powder and 250 ml brown sugar in your food processor. Pulse until mixed and then add the butter and pulse until it has a crumbly texture.
- Line a 25 x 25cm pie dish with baking paper and press half of the crumbs down in the bottom of the dish.
- Place the dates, water, 80 ml brown sugar and lemon juice in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the dates are soft. Spread the mixture over the base in the baking dish and then pat the remaining crumbs on the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top has browned. Cool and cut into squares.
You may also like these delicious recipes